August 2016 USPS Rate Change to First-Class Mail Parcel
On August 28, 2016, USPS customers who utilize the retail parcel service will see a small increase adjustment in the prices for one-ounce, two-ounce and three-ounce First-Class Mail parcels. Currently, the rate is $2.45, which will increase to $2.62 in August. The Postal Regulatory Commission authorized the increase to correct an anomaly that developed after the January rate change, which resulted in the price for retail First Class Mail being lower than the commercial First-Class Package Service. The U.S. Postal Service has assured that the increase will only affect retail pricing and commercial mailing pricing will not be impacted.
Click here for more information.
USPS Expands Mail Service to Cuba
Thanks to the U.S Postal Service (USPS®), you now have more direct mailing options from the U.S. to Cuba. Following the historical resumption of direct mail service to Cuba in March, the USPS has now expanded its Priority Mail International® (PMI) service to the Caribbean nation. Starting on May 22, 2016, USPS customers will not only be able to send Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Boxes but also single piece parcels, as well as Medium and Large Flat Rate Boxes.
The following standards and characteristics will apply:
- PMI Medium and Large Flat Rate Boxes: 20 lbs.
- PMI Single Piece Parcels: 22 lbs.
- PMI International Small Flat Rate Box and Flat Rate Envelope: 4 lbs.
Maximum Dimension for Parcels:
- Maximum length: 59 inches
- Maximum length + girth (L + 2(W+H)): 108 inches
- Priority Mail International Flat Rate Boxes and Flat Rate Envelope: Price group 8
- Priority Mail International Parcels: Price group 9
- Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box and Flat Rate Envelope: PS Form 2976 until August 28, 2016; PS Form 2976-A effective August 28. 2016.
- Priority Mail International Parcels, Medium and Large Flat Rate Box: PS Form 2976-A
Insurance and Indemnity:
- Priority Mail International parcels containing non-negotiable documents will be insured against loss, damage or missing contents up to $100 at no additional charge.
- Parcels containing merchandise are insured against loss, damage, or missing contents up to $200 at no additional charge.
- No additional merchandise insurance will be available for purchase.
- Items containing goods over the limit of $200 may be confiscated upon entering Cuba or returned to sender.